Winking Owl Double Feature

It's a Saturday and my first review on here, so I decided to day drink and try two wines today. I'm also throwing in some Aldi truffles for the hell of it. I decided to go with the cheapest wines on offer and these bottles came it at $2.98 each. For less than $12 total, I have an afternoon of entertainment and then some. The labels are cute. Given my propensity for judging books by their covers, can you really expect any less.

I'm starting with the Winking Owl Cabernet Sauvignon. I figured a good place to start is with my favorite kind of wine.

I should probably mention that I am not even close to any kind of wine expert. Specific types of glasses? Pssh. A coffee mug will work for me in a pinch. Letting the wine breathe? Aerating? All things that, yeah, might be legitimate, but I don't have the time or sophistication for that nonsense. Pour into glass. Drink. Don't expect any kind of snobbery here.

Anyway, initial thoughts. It smells like red wine. Can't really be much more specific than that. Maybe it's something I'll learn in time. Flavor-wise, it's a little grassy. It just tastes cheap. It's not undrinkable (proof being in the fact that my second glass is gone and I'm thinking about heading in for a third), but it's certainly not the best cab I've ever had.

Ian's take: "It doesn't taste like wine, it tastes like grape lemonade."

My second wine of the day was the Winking Owl White Zinfandel. It's definitely way sweeter than I usually prefer. In fact, it just tastes like a sweeter, lighter version of the Cabernet. Still has a definite cheapness to it. Lucky for me, it actually paired quite well with the tuna sandwich that I ate for lunch (did I mention I was day drinking?). It also probably has a great deal to do with the fact that Ian's tuna salad is unnaturally good.

Ian:"They used more juice and less lemon vodka."

As for the chocolates, I've tried three so far. The are not the finest quality I have ever had, but they are still nice. And really pretty. Having a sweet tooth, I find little fault in them.

All in all, not the best wines I have ever had, but not the worst either. It will certainly get me through the hockey game tonight. Cheers.



Comments

Popular Posts